Tenant FAQ

How can I pay my rent?

Paying your rent with R&W is as easy as filling in a form with ‘Rental Rewards’. This allows you the convenience & knowledge that your rent will always be on time.
With Rental Rewards you have the choice of having your rent directly debited from your bank account or credit card.

With Rental Rewards not only do you have the peace of mind of ‘on time’ rent payments you can also enjoy many other member benefits such as Myer One points or Frequent Flyer Points & much more. Visit the website to learn more.  http://rentalrewards.com.au/public/info.html?d=INR_AU&name=overview

Please note R&W Lane Cove does not accept cash or cheque at anytime.

When do I get a copy of my Lease, Condition Report & Keys?

After all monies have been paid, on the morning of or by prior arrangement, the evening before your lease is due to commence, you will be given a copy of the signed Residential Tenancy Agreement, the condition report and a complete set of keys.

Remember you have 7 days to go through the condition report, make any additional comments, sign and return a copy of the report to our office.

This condition report will be used as a record of the condition of the property when you vacate. Should you have failed to return the completed report within the said 7 days, the original condition report will be deemed to be a true report of the condition of the premises at the commencement of your lease.

What if something needs repairing?

Should your rental property suffer any damage or require repairs you must forward the repair request to us in writing. For your convenience there is a ‘Repairs’ request tab on our website.
Repairs should only be instigated by a tenant if a genuine emergency problem occurs outside of office hours. Our Property Management team is availably via mobile phone 24/7 so please make a call to one of the team to advise of any emergency.

Please see your Residential Tenancy Agreement of Renting Guide Booklet to check what constitutes an emergency repair. http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/realestaterenting/tenantslandlords/tenants.html

Do I need to have my own insurance?

Richardson & Wrench Lane Cove suggest that you take our your own personal contents insurance to guard against any loss, theft or damage to your belongings. The landlord has no obligation to insure your personal items and the landlord’s building insurance will not cover your household contents.